NEWS: Toyota GB GT86 Britcar 24-Hour Drivers Announced

















Toyota has announced who will be driving in the GT86's racing debut for the Britcar 24 Hours (September 21st-23rd) – and it's an amazing comeback call-up for 61-year-old Chris Hodgetts, the man who won back-to-back touring car championships in the famous AE86 Toyota Corolla GT in the 1980s. Not only that, our very own www.roadmagazine.co.uk race ace, Neil Primrose (Travis drummer) will also be part of the four man driver team, which also includes Chris' son, Stefan Hodgetts and journalist, Richard Meaden.
Our Neil is an experienced historic car racer, and campaigns a Lola 2-litre Lola T212 sportscar and has raced at the historic Le Mans Classic and at the Nurburgring. He says:"I'm chuffed to bits. It's great to get a proper drive like this."
Chris, being the most experienced member of the team (he’s a veteran of six round-the-clock races at Le Mans), will provide a direct link between the new GT86 and the famous Corolla GT, one of the classic Toyota sports cars that inspired its development. He said: "I think the last time I raced a Toyota was the 1988 Spa 24 Hours. We retired eight minutes from the end while leading our class."
He recently dropped into the workshops of GPRM, where the Britcar GT86 is taking shape: "There was the new car and alongside it was a replica of my old AE86 Corolla, all in its old livery. I admit I shed a tear. It’s wonderful to be reunited."
Son Stefan is equally excited at the prospect of racing the new Toyota. He said: "I was four or five when dad was wining the BTCC in his Toyota and I remember it vividly. It’s a great connection to the past for me and a fantastic opportunity. And I think my team-mate is a safe and sensible sort of guy who will have over the GT86 in one piece."
The Britcar 24 Hours will take place at Silverstone over the weekend of September 22nd and 23rd. Find out more at Team Toyota GB or stay tuned here... 

Comments

Popular Posts